PREVENTION OF CRIME
- Surveillance on criminals.
- Monitoring of records.
- Beat patrolling, mobile and foot patrolling, surprise checks (Naka Bandis), combing operations and raids.
- Participative policing at macro and micro level through Mohalla Committees (system of neighborhood watch). Active involvement of NGOs.
- System of preventive action under the Criminal Procedure Code, Bombay Police Act, and other preventive legislations; special care is taken of juvenile offenders and atrocities against weaker sections, through specialized cells.
DETECTION OF CRIME
- Investigation and prosecution of offenders.
MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC ORDER
- Maintenance of law and order during festivals, elections, communal and social disturbances, natural calamities.
- Maintenance of Internal Security: VIP security and counter espionage.
- Special Crime: White collar crime, check on drug abuse, extortion by gangsters, control over smuggling of arms, check on gang activities.
- Traffic Management : Wardha is one of the most densely populated cities in the world. Despite various constraints, Mumbai Traffic Police is known all over the country for its scientific and efficient management of traffic.
Traffic management of this magnitude is done with a special emphasis on the training of officers. There is also a thrust on public education and effective enforcement. Enthusiastic members of society can join as traffic wardens and the corporate sector and NGOs are always willing to help the authorities in spreading traffic awareness.
Wardha was the first city in India to introduce the concept of involving children, the citizens of tomorrow, in traffic management and road safety, by training them through the 'Road Safety Patrol' (RSP) scheme since 1957. More than 67,000 children from nearly 500 schools are trained annually.
- Enquiring into non-cognizable cases, accidental deaths, accidental fires, etc.
- Enquiring about missing persons.
- Registration of foreign nationals and related enquiries.
- Escorting the treasury, prisoners, juvenile offenders, run-away girls.
- Verification of character, antecedents and records for issuance of passports, arms licenses and other licenses, for government employment, domestic servants whenever required, etc.
- Implementation of various social legislations aimed for protecting the weaker sections of the society and monitoring their social status. Mumbai Police tries to help families from splitting and focuses on reforming drug addicts, removing social taboos, and interacting purposefully with NGOs with a view to improve the quality of life in the present day highly organized and individualistic society.
- Wardha Police helps in restoring runaway children to their families, introducing destitute women to a decent way of life and counseling in social, family and personal discords.
- It actively participates in restoring normalcy in the aftermath of any social turmoil, including communal riots/natural calamities by participating in relief and rehabilitation of the victims by organizing the collection of food, clothing, medicines, blood and even money.
- Wardha Police has been the vanguard of bringing about AIDS awareness by reaching out to people through its widespread organizational network.
- It regularly organizes blood donation camps for helping the needy.
- Presently noise and air pollution are high on its agenda of services.